Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Week of Miracles

July 19th 2010

Wow! What an amazing week! I cannot even begin to describe all the many miracles we've seen this last week, but my testimony has definitely grown about the blessings that come when we work hard and are obedient.

This week we put someone on date for baptism in the first lesson!! This is probably one of our bigger miracles this week. His name is Koty, he's 18, and is living with a family that are members. We met Koty when the Docken's family invited us over for dinner earlier last week. Koty is 18 and recently moved in with the Docken family when his foster parents gave up their license. Koty was very involved in his other church, he was the youth leader for his youth group. Koty's interest about the church was sparked when he moved in with the Docken family; thos Docken's have 3 boys ages 17, 18, and 20. One of the boys gave him a Book of Mormon a day or two before we came over for dinner. We shared a message with the family (like we do at all member dinners) and then we left. As we were leaving though, both Sis. Perez and I felt that we should see about teaching Koty. We felt that he had been really receptive to the message we shared at dinner and that he might have potential. Of course, as we were leaving we didn't quite see the greatest opportunity to talk specifically to Koty about us teaching him. So as the Docken's drove us back to where we had left our bikes before dinner, we asked them if they thought Koty might be interested in hearing more about the church. They weren't quite sure, but told us that we should definitely talk to him and see. So we resolved that we would stop by in a day or two, unless by some chance Bro. and Sis. Docken felt like it was the right timing for them to approach him. Well here is the miracle. Turns out Koty wanted to meet with us without anybody asking!! The next day, we got a call from the Docken's saying Koty came up to them and asked...

"so when are the sister missionaries going to teach me?!"

Yah!! I know, amazing! Our bad for not asking him that day we first met him; but this just goes to show how great this kid is. So on Friday we taught him about the resoration. As we were teaching him, I couldn't help but be taken back a little at how "easy" he was to teach. It was like while we were teaching, he just got it. He told us he had started reading the Book of Mormon and that he felt good when he was reading it. Even though his Pator told him, "Its not a sin to read the Book of Mormon, but it is a sin to study it." That obviously didnt feel right to Koty and in talking to him, he just told us he knows its true. He said everything we were teaching him just fit, and he knew it was right! SO, in talking to him I knew he was just waiting for us to invite him to be baptized. And the most amazing part about it all...is I couldn't even get through the baptismal invitation before he said yes! It went a little something like this.
Me: "Koty, will you follow the example of our Savior...."
Koty: "Yes!!".....
Me: "............and be baptized by someone holding the Priesthood Authority of God?"
Koty then responded even more animatedly and was like, yes! SO we put him on date for August 14! We originally put him on date for Aug 7, but the Docken's family has a family reunion and he is going to that, so we had to push it back to the following week. He came to church on Sunday and he is just such a great kid! He really has it together, and I now have a true understanding of the term "golden" and also my testimony of being able to find those whom the Lord has prepared has increased. We are excited for Koty and I'm sure you will be hearing lots more about him in the future. I do hope I dont get transferred after this transfer so I can be here for his baptism, but if so...I know it will be for a reason. And I have to remember that this is not about me, this is the Lord's work. We are just the instruments in His hands to bring His lost sheep back into His fold.

Other miracles we saw this week is we got 8 new investigators this week! The highest we'd gotten in one week was 11...and that was at the end of last transfer with Sis. Naylor. The first couple weeks of this transfer were hard, because the work was slow and the numbers were way down in comparison to last transfer because we had to basically start from scratch. As you may know, the first couple weeks of this transfer were the hardest part of my mission thus far. I had to overcome a lot of doubt and discouragement, but I know it is because of the Lord that I was able to push through those rough times. I know that the reason we go through trials is so that we can learn to more fully rely on the Lord for His help. I feel so much better now and I have really witnessed miracles this week! There are people who have approached us, not us to them. People who have litterally fallen into our laps, whom are ready to receive the gospel. I know that more trials will come....but I also know that it is after the trial that we are truly blessed!! I am learning how to forget about myself and just go to work. Work hard, be diligent, obedient, and faithful. I know it is by all this that the Lord will continue to pour out HIs blessing upon the people of Wenatchee and upon us as missionaries. I will be forever changed when all this is said and done, and already I can feel the changes in which the Lord has caused in me. Being called to do the things I have been asked to do, and to find a way to endure to the end, I have truly been blessed to see His hand in all things! I love this work! I love being a missionary and truth be told I know it is going to be a very sad day when I'm going to have to leave. 14 more months! This time in my life only comes once and I'm so incredibly grateful to be here now!

In other news, we moved today! It's been a busy day, but I promise you I am working on sending you letters! I miss each of you so very much!

My new address is now:

Sister Vanessa Riggs
1511 Anton Place
Wenatchee, WA 98801

3 more weeks left of this transfer! We'll see what exciting events lie instore. Keep the Faith and strive to become the person who your Heavenly Father knows you can become.

No comments:

Post a Comment